Cessna 170 Renovation Project

I have been informed that aviation is a disease; and several family members would happily agree. I started out looking at a kit to build and really like the combination of buildability and utility of the Zenith kits. However, I have come to feel they have their tail-wheel at the wrong end so I’m now headed down the path of refurbishing a 1948 Cessna 170 Rag-wing.

The plan is to make it airworthy and as pretty as possible in not more than 500 hours. Famous last estimates and all … Once that’s done we’ll wet rent it to carefully chosen taildragger pilots!

It’s nerdy but important to note the difference between renovation (make new) and restoration (put back like it was). We are working to get her safely flying and fly her. She will not be show plane pretty and not everything will go back original, especially the panel. She will not fly on the C170 certificate of airworthiness, but rather on a permit-to-fly specific to this aircraft. This is a process managed by ILAS under IAA oversight, in many ways (but not all) similar to Experimental via EAA under FAA oversight in the US.

Recent Log Entries:

Quickie: The panel clock (13 January 2021) - One of the instruments that is staying in the panel is the clock. It is a wind-up 8-day clock that I think is original to the aircraft. The red hands allow you to set your waypoint ETA and then watch the white timing hands catch up by which time hopefully something looks recognizable. No it […]
Electrical System Finished (mostly) (23 September 2020) - I gave up onĀ  logging hours. As I don’t have a 51% requirement, it’s a renovation not a kit build, there is no regulatory need to show amateur effort percentage. Of course, other than the engine rebuild, it’s 100% my effort anyway. Panel completed The panel is ready for installation. All its bits and pieces […]
Panel Progress (9 June 2020) - The CAD file has finally been applied to metal. 6061-T6 Al .0625in thick. The work was done at Watermark Engineering in Dublin; the owner is an avgeek who is plans-building a Fiesler Stork replica. Using their punch press we (the operator with looking on) punched out the panel and the shock-mount instrument sub-panel. First up […]